It’s Not our Plan…

This week has been a very stressful week.  We have gone to 2 banks trying to get funding.  Both banks were not even sure what a distillery is.  I have pictures in our business plan on what it might look like and talk about the distilling equipment and the tasting room.  But they still can’t visualize on what a craft distillery business model looks like.  Dave and I were warned about this in the distilling workshop.


Because they don’t know what a distillery is they can’t see it being successful.  The banker last night even told us that he heard there is a distillery in Snohomish that is financially struggling.  And that’s the only things he knows about it.  I hope he takes the time to read my business plan.  If he does he will fully understand that this can be a lucrative business if done right.


I just got the call from the bank. They will not loan us any money unless we put our house up as collateral.  That is not an option.  Many of you know we co-own our house with my daughter and her family.  The house is my grandchildren’s home and we will never jeopardize it.

What now?  God always provides and this is not an exception.  We are fortunate enough to have enough money on my old Bayliner’s 401K to get the business up.  We are going to have to cut a few extra corners, but I have faith we can make it work.  We will most likely be looking for some investor to supplement if we think we don’t have enough capital to do a good job.  We will decide this in the very near future.

This week was a clear reminder that we think we can make plans but ultimately the successful plans are always Gods plans.  We wanted a bank loan to keep things simple.  I guess that’s not part of the plan.

I’m thankful that we know the answer regarding our funding and can move on.  Next week I hope to be able to finalize the TTB permit paperwork and file it by Friday.  That will be a great accomplishment.

Have a wonderful weekend and I wish you many blessings




Patience, patience, patience

Patience…. My lifelong lesson.  Dave and I are patiently waiting to hear from the bank.  I had to call them on Monday because it had been over a week since we submitted our paperwork.  It’s a good thing I did because John said, “Well I’m waiting for paperwork from you.”  That paperwork he was waiting for had been sitting on his desk for a week.  He forgot.  John said he would get right to work on it and we will know something by Wednesday, which is today.

I thought I had the bond all finish.  Well actually the bond is finish, but in the wrong amount.  Last Thursday I received the bond in the mail and then Friday afternoon I came across a worksheet that said we needed the bond coverage amount to be a minimum of $15,000. Our bond is only $10,000.  When I started working on the bond all I could find is documentation saying it had to be at least 90 days worth of taxes that we would owe.  At this point I’m not sure if we can change the bond.  My awesome insurance gal is working on it for me.  However, yesterday I came across another statement on the TTB website that said if your bond is not in the minimal amount you must fill out this other paperwork.  So that leads me to believe the $15,000 is not a must.  We’ve heard the TTB paperwork can be a challenge.  I see why now.


Other things in the working…. Dave has lined up a boom truck to get the silo from Sumas.  He also has a number for a milk tank that’s in Sumas.  We filed for a tenant improvement permit to build our tasting room.  The city was extremely helpful and they are eager to see us open.  I’m working at filling out the TTB form for the plant permit.  There are a lot of questions that leaves a person guessing at what do they really want to know.  Such a “Describe each tract of land covered by the distilled spirits plant by using directions and distances.”  Oh the fun….

Have a wonderful week.  I hope to be giving you good news about our funding in the next blog.